Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Roland Burris















Remember when you were little and you broke your mom’s favorite lamp because you were running through the house when she told you not to? Remember how your alibis progressed when confronted with the broken lamp?

“No mom, I wasn’t reeeally running.”
“Well, I was kind of running, and I think I might have bumped the lamp.”
“Ok, I was running, and I did knock the lamp over.

Now fast forward to late 2008 and early 2009. When confronted with the possibility of his nomination for Illinois senator being tainted by “pay to play” shenanigans involving ex-scumbag governor Rod Blagojevich, Burris was adamant that there was no tit for tat. Absolutely no way. He’s way too clean a guy for that, he protested, to anyone who would listen.

But over this past weekend Burris acknowledged that he had indeed spoken with members of the Blagojevich goon squad, but that he categorically rejected the advances to fundraise for the ex-governor.

Now it’s come out today that he indeed did attempt to raise funds for Blagojevich, but was unable to find any donors.

Hmmm…

So here are those child-like alibis rearing their ugly heads again.

“No, of course I didn’t engage in talks with with ex-governor.”
“Well maybe there was a phone call or two, kinda sorta. But I would never give in to that sort of pressure. I’m clean!
“Ok, I was talking to people and trying to raise money. But I couldn’t find any donors, so the means I’m still clean!”

Note to Mr. Burris: spread that crap on the lawn. I’m not buying it. I was sick to death of my state being the punchline for late night talk show host’s jokes, and you’ve only made it worse. You’re a joke and an embarassment to yourself and the state you claim to represent. It’s time to go.

1 comment:

  1. I had actually had some sympathy for the guy in the beginning; he'd served the state well as comptroller and Sec of State. He might even have been governor in these more enlightened times. But he's become a buffoon and embarassment. Time for him to step down.

    ReplyDelete